CORNELIUS, N.C. - A person who was rushed to the hospital after a jet ski crash Sunday afternoon on Lake Norman has died.
The accident happened around 4:30 p.m. on Peninsula Cove Lane.
“We come to the lake to have fun and recreate. You just cannot let your guard down,” said Sgt. William Laton, with the NC Wildlife Enforcement Division.
Officials said four people under the age of 16 were on two jet skis when they collided.
One of the passengers died. The other passenger has a broken leg.
Laton said they don't know what exactly happened or how the person died, but he said the victim was wearing a life vest.
“What I can tell you is all the operators did meet the legal requirements for the watercraft that they were operating,” Laton said.
Officials said everyone involved in the accident knew each other.
Officials have not said led to the crash.
No other information has been released.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Person dies after jet ski crash on Lake Norman, officials say
- Crews responding to crash involving NC trooper on motorcycle in west Charlotte
- NC father killed after wave off Oak Island broke neck to donate organs
- FORECAST: Last day of heat wave before cold front, storms move in
- Deputies: 4-wheeler rider shot, killed after reportedly running two people over
© 2019 Cox Media Group.