CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Michael Thompson and his fiance, Juvette Lofton, were crossing Beatties Ford Road on Oct. 6 when a car’s sideview mirror clipped him.
"In order for the driver to hit us, he or she had to have sped up," Thompson said.
"(I) heard the pop, boom, and he flew, and I'm, like, ‘What happened?’" Lofton said.
Police said the driver took off and has not been seen since.
Thompson said he believes the car was a black 2016 Chevy Malibu that was missing a sideview mirror.
"Of course, I felt pain,” Thompson said. “It was tolerable, yet it was very, very painful."
Police have not been able to find the driver and have hit a dead end in the case.
"That's a human life, and you have a machine,” Lofton said. “You’re driving a machine. You have the power to kill."
"I can't go to work,” Thompson said. “There is nothing I can do to make any money right now and we’re facing some tough times."
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 79-year-old woman hit, killed by vehicle at Matthews grocery store
- Allen or Newton? Panthers coach Rivera has tough decision at QB upcoming
- Authorities release photos of possible driver, minivan in deadly Caldwell Co. hit-and-run
- FORECAST: Cloudy skies, rain chances pave way for fall-like conditions
- Hunter reportedly kills deer with bow, arrow near south Charlotte park
© 2019 Cox Media Group.