ALBEMARLE, N.C. - An Albemarle family was trapped inside their home after a massive tree fell and literally split their house in two.
Channel 9 reporter Gina Esposito spoke to the family about the terrifying rescue. They said they’re blessed and thankful that everyone was OK after the huge tree crashed down on the home during Tropical Storm Michael.
The tree landed in the living room when the ceiling collapsed, trapping two people inside.
"The ceiling came down on me and pushed me over to my left and was laying on top of my face,” said Diane Vanhoy, who was watching TV with her mother and grandson. “My whole right side was pinned all under that.”
Ronnie Lee Russell and his wife, who live next door, heard the crash and rushed over to help. Russell is the brother of the trapped homeowner.
Russell said he went through the front door and saw that the ceiling had collapsed on his 18-year-old nephew. He pulled him out of a chair and then out of the home to safety.
"I come in here, my sister was sitting in this chair, and I got her out because the ceiling was sitting on top of her,” Russell said.
He then told Channel 9 he ran to the back of the house and kicked open the door to get to his sister, who was also trapped.
"The ceiling kept popping down as he was trying to get me out,” Vanhoy said. “I couldn't move my myself. The ceiling kept popping and I just wasn't sure that I was going to make it out."
The "Follow the Lead" news app feature allows users to opt-in to follow future coverage of specific news events that they’re interested in.
This new feature allows you to receive push notifications whenever there are new developments in ongoing stories, breaking news, and stories that are of interest to you.
Stories that are followable have tappable tags associated with them, including Hurricanes. To follow the latest on Michael, click the blue tag indicated with a "+" followed by the name.
Russell’s wife, Channa Trull, said the entire situation was terrifying.
“It was rough,” she told Esposito. “It scared me. Hadn’t seen anything like that.”
Russell’s 87-year-old mother was standing in the front door at the time and was not trapped.
All three were taken to the hospital and were treated for bumps and bruises.
"When I came home from the hospital last night, I see it,” Vanhoy said. “It just broke me up all over again. I'm just thankful we got out, everybody did."
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Statesville man charged with over 50 counts of child sex crimes
- Sheriff says mother accidentally smothered baby during fatal meth overdose
- MUST SEE VIDEO: Abandoned, stolen vehicle smashes through backyard fence in north Charlotte
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Saturday forecast outlook
- 'He's going to be our guardian': Iredell Co. man killed in freak accident when tree falls onto car
© 2018 Cox Media Group.