GASTONIA, N.C. - Police said two groups of people fought at a home in Gaston County Sunday afternoon and at some point, a man was shot.
The shooting happened after a group of people went to the house on New Haven Drive in Gastonia and an argument broke out, officials said.
Neighbors told Channel 9's Erin Edwards they heard about five gunshots and then saw cars leaving the home.
Officers said they were on the way to the scene when they stopped a truck and inside was a man who had been shot.
Police rushed him to Caromont Regional Medical Center, but it is not clear how severe his injuries are.
Authorities said they do not have an identity on any possible suspects in the case.
"At this point, we don't have an identity of the shooter," Gaston County Police Capt. Jeff Phelps said. "The individual or individuals left the scene before police arrived and any witnesses had no idea or they're not able to share that information with us at this time."
Police said they believe this was an isolated incident and no one nearby is in danger.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police investigating after man shot in east Charlotte dies at hospital
- Suspected drunk driver hits 4 construction workers, killing 1 near Concord Mills
- Hotel evacuated after man fires gun inside nearby business, CMPD says
- Driver charged with DWI after hitting, killing man on I-277 in Charlotte, police say
- Driver intentionally hit, killed 79-year-old woman at Matthews grocery store, police say
© 2019 Cox Media Group.