MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - A man has been shot and killed by police near the South Carolina coast.
Myrtle Beach Police Capt. Joey Crosby said officers were called to a park about 12:30 a.m. Friday to check on a suspicious person.
Crosby said officers saw the man had a gun and one officer fired when the man pointed the gun at them.
The man died at the scene. His name has not been released.
More Myrtle Beach stories:
- Myrtle Beach teens busted for trespassing in water park thanks to Snapchat
- NC woman: 'Myrtle Beach water gave me flesh-eating bacteria'
- Woman sought in 2 Myrtle Beach hotel robberies on same night
- Pregnant woman falls from balcony in Myrtle Beach
- 9 injured after hazmat situation at Myrtle Beach resort pool
- New website assures tourists Myrtle Beach is safe after Facebook Live shooting
- Iredell Co. men carjacked after Facebook Live shooting in Myrtle Beach
Crosby said the officer has been placed on administrative duty while the State Law Enforcement Division investigates.
Neither the race of the man or the officer was immediately available.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: 5-year-old NC girl found locked in closet without food
- Woman claims sexual assault on red-eye flight to Charlotte
- Jose expected to become a hurricane again in the Atlantic
- WATCH: Keith Monday's weekend forecast outlook
- Homeowner shot during late night home invasion, attempted robbery
- Man shot to death during police confrontation in Myrtle Beach
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.