MATTHEWS, N.C. - Parking lots all over our area are covered in a product that has been linked to cancer.
Last year, Channel 9 told you the town of Matthews became the first in the state to ban coal tar sealants, which are used to coat and protect driveways and parking lots.
Now the town is considering widening the ban to include even more products.
Watch the video above to hear why the sealant is so dangerous and what leaders are doing to help keep you safe.
More information about the harmful chemical found in coal tar sealants here.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Union County elementary school principal arrested for simple assault
- Mother, son found shot to death at Catawba County home; suspect arrested
- Massive 5-alarm fire rips through Rowan County scrapyard
- FORECAST: Sunny skies, mild temps expected before fall-like conditions settle in
- Heavy fire, smoke billows from 2-alarm east Charlotte apartment fire
© 2019 Cox Media Group.