CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Mecklenburg County Commissioner Jim Puckett says he'd like to see the health department do more school inspections after a Channel 9 report on Olympic High School.
"It is my understanding that current legislation only allows for the health department to make an annual inspection of CMS facilities unless someone should make a complaint then we are allowed to investigate. Given the number of 'investigations' done by local media over the years as well as CMS's own admission of decay and disrepair, I feel the health department should have the ability to make spot checks much as we do restaurants," said Puckett.
It appears the General Assembly would have to make the change.
Olympic was inspected on May 4, and the health officials found several issues. There were roaches in the main building upstairs, the girl's locker room, and gnats in the shower area. A pungent smell was observed coming from four of the mobile restrooms. The boy’s and men’s restrooms throughout the school reeked of urine.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Local schools closed as thousands of teachers march in Raleigh
- SOLD: David Tepper 'thrilled' to be next owner of Carolina Panthers
- Boy describes Hilton Head shark attack: 'I'm dreaming, wake me up!'
- WATCH: Keith Monday's stormy Wednesday outlook
- Local families lose money, sued after custom builders don't finish homes
© 2018 Cox Media Group.