MOORESVILLE, N.C. - More than 500 people participated in a 5K over the weekend to push for research into a possible thyroid cancer cluster in Mooresville.
Survivors and their families filled Troutman ESC Park on Saturday for the Team Taylor Environmental 5K.
Susan Wind planned the event in honor of her teenage daughter, who was diagnosed with thyroid cancer last year.
Wind is working with researchers from Duke University and Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to find any possible environmental links. More than 30 people in her ZIP code near Lake Norman are in her research study.
This weekend, Wind announced she's raised more than $100,000 for research.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- SC prison secured after 7 inmates killed following riot, officials say
- Residents begin cleanup after harrowing storm: 'It was like a whirlwind'
- WATCH: Vicki Graf's Monday forecast outlook
- CMPD identifies man shot to death in city's 15th homicide of 2018
- Rock Hill pizza worker slapped after delivery service failed
© 2018 Cox Media Group.