CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Hundreds of college graduates in Atlanta just got the graduation gift of a lifetime.
Morehouse College's graduation started as normal Sunday, but took an incredible turn when billionaire Robert F. Smith announced that his family is providing a grant to eliminate the student debt of the entire class of 2019.
The only catch is that students have to pay it forward.
Smith, who received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters before his announcement, is the richest black man in America. He runs a private equity firm based in San Francisco and has a history of philanthropy.
Watch the video above to hear from one grad who plans to pay it forward in Charlotte.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Horrified NC mom watches son, boyfriend drown as rip current drags them out to sea
- 1 killed, 2 others injured when car slams into pole on I-77 in Huntersville
- Mom of 5 slain South Carolina children sobs on stand at ex-husband's trial
- FORECAST: Short term relief from humidity before heat wave rolls in
- CMPD: Man caught moaning, peeping through woman's bedroom window
© 2019 Cox Media Group.