MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. — Myrtle Beach is topping three lists of the "Most Dangerous Cities" in the country.
The city has been dealing with an increase in crime since last summer, which includes a shootout along Ocean Boulevard. The video of this shootout went viral in June 2017.
During this incident, seven people were shot and two teens were arrested.
Friday, city officials warned people to "think twice" before they believe Myrtle Beach is among the most dangerous cities.
The list ranks cities by dividing permanent population by the number of crimes.
Officials say with the large tourism population, those number can be skewed.
"Our permanent population is very small, about 30,000 or so," a Myrtle Beach spokesperson Mark Kruea said. "But, when you look around, we feel like a much bigger town because we are. Our average daily population is around 100,000."
City officials said they have contacted each of the list's creators to ask them to consider the factor that Myrtle Beach is a tourist town.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Myrtle Beach named one of the 'most dangerous' cities in the country
- Wells Fargo faces new scandal after overcharging customers
- Sharpshooting officer deemed 'hero' after striking man holding hostages at Harris Teeter
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Saturday forecast outlook
- 6, 600 gallons of untreated wastewater overflows into area of Lyle Creek
Cox Media Group