CHARLOTTE, N.C. - This year’s National Police Week is especially meaningful for those in York County as Detective Mike Doty's name was added to the list of fallen officers on Wednesday.
Doty was killed in an ambush attack four months ago. It had been 25 years since an officer serving York County was shot and killed.
Doty's death saved two other lives because he was part of an organ donation program, and on Thursday, his family unveiled a special stock car that will run in the NASCAR Xfinity race at Charlotte Motor Speedway next weekend.
Joey Gase will drive the No. 35 Donate Life car in Doty's honor.
The car has Doty's photograph on it and will have hand prints from his family and members of law enforcement who served with him. Life Share of the Carolinas hopes the tribute will encourage others to donate.
"It's emotional for officers, but also there's some laughs and remembrances of him and his memory,” said Kevin Tolson, York County Sheriff.
Two of the officers injured in that ambush back in January were at the event. The sheriff said both are still recovering and one is already back to work.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- City councilwoman's tweet compares police to terrorists
- Pack of small, vicious dachshunds running wild attacks, kills woman
- Source: Neighborhood street blocked as homicide suspect arrested
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Boy describes Hilton Head shark attack: 'I'm dreaming, wake me up!'
© 2018 Cox Media Group.