MARS HILL, N.C. — A baby was given minimal food and locked in a homemade cage 23 hours a day, investigators said.
Deputies with the Madison County Sheriff's Office found the infant locked in the cage Wednesday while searching a house after receiving a complaint about child abuse, officials said.
The baby was immediately taken from the cage and given medical treatment.
Haley Trantham, 23, and Vincent Lee II, 28, were arrested and charged with two counts of child abuse. Trantham was also charged with possession of marijuana.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Investigators charge two managers from Hendrick Chrysler
- Security guard trying to help 2 women shoots man outside Charlotte motel
- WATCH: Vicki Graf's Friday forecast outlook
- NC couple accused of keeping baby locked in cage 23 hours a day
- Police identify man found shot to death in wrecked car
Cox Media Group