UNION COUNTY — One man was killed Wednesday night and another was injured in a double shooting during a drug deal that went bad, according to Union County officials.
Deputies were called to a home on Ruben Road, south of Monroe, and found 26-year-old Matthew Watson had been shot and killed.
The house sits just across from Prospect Elementary School.
Investigators told Channel 9 that Trenton Chambers, 20, and Bentley Ivey, 18, drove to the home for a drug deal.
(Chambers and Ivey)
While inside the house, the pair allegedly tried to rob Watson and another person before exchanging gunfire.
After the shooting, Chambers and Ivey ran away but deputies found them both at a nearby church.
Ivey was suffering from a gunshot wound and was taken to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte but has since been released.
Ivey and Chambers are facing first-degree murder charges.
The case remains under investigation.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Father of slain 3-year-old girl upset at Gaston County DSS
- Body found in connection to search for missing woman, CMPD says
- CMPD: Drunk driver killed in crash; portion of Wilkinson Boulevard closed
- Man dead, another injured in Union County shootout, deputies say
- Authorities probe death of man found shot in Shelby road
Cox Media Group