CHARLOTTE, N.C.,None - An overnight fire in an east Charlotte pizzeria caused thousands of dollars in damages, fire officials said.
According to Charlotte Fire Department officials, firefighters had to enter a neighboring business to shut down the sprinklers. But they are crediting the sprinkler system with preventing more extensive damage in the Papa John’s on Cambridge Commons Drive.
Crews were alerted to the fire shortly after 1:30 a.m. Friday.
Officials have already said the fire was accidental, caused by a mop and bucket being stored too close to a water heater.
There is about $5,000 worth of smoke and water damage to the restaurant, officials estimated.
A health inspector will have to visit the restaurant later in the day to make an inspection. Food that was in refrigerators should be OK, but any food that was exposed to smoke and water will have to be discarded, officials said.
Nearby businesses will not be impacted by the fire and should open on time Friday.