MOORESVILLE, N.C. - A carbon monoxide incident that sent seven people to the hospital on Thursday was accidental, investigators have ruled.
Emergency crews took seven people, including four police officers, to the hospital after they were exposed to the colorless, odorless gas.
Police were called to a home on Cinebar Road around 7:45 a.m. and found two women inside who were sick.
IMAGES: 3 officers, 2 residents transported for carbon monoxide exposure
The officers noticed that the women were showing signs of CO exposure. Officers got one of the women out of the home but then became sick themselves.
Firefighters on the scene then retrieved the second woman from the second story of the home.
Seven people were taken to Lake Norman Regional Medical Center, including an additional officer and the man who called for help.
The three police officers were admitted to the hospital and later released. The fourth officer was treated and released.
The two women were later transferred to another hospital. A family member told Channel 9 that they were doing all right.
A city representative told Eyewitness News that the man came home Wednesday night and took the key fob out of his car without pushing the button to turn the car off.
Officials said the garage door was shut and an extreme level of carbon monoxide built up overnight.
Firefighters said there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the home.
Channel 9 first reported the news on Twitter.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Officials: 3 officers, 2 residents hospitalized for carbon monoxide exposure
- Family of teen charged with arson, murder of brother criticizes deputies
- Photographer stirs controversy with newborn photo including American flag
- 2 officers shot at protest outside Ferguson police station
- 4 injured, including 2 students, in Gaston Co. school bus crash
- WATCH: Fan's nose bloodied by ball into stands at Hornets game