CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A baby is in the Intensive Care Unit after police said his father left him behind during a house fire in east Charlotte.
Firefighters said when they arrived around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at the apartments on Lanecrest Drive near East W.T. Harris Boulevard they saw smoke coming from the two-story building.
Rodney Williston Jr., 21, fled the scene of the accidental stove fire because he has an outstanding warrant for his arrest.
The warrant for contributing to the delinquency of a minor was filed last month.
“I was a little shocked,” one neighbor said.
The fire took 12 minutes to control and investigators said unattended food left cooking on the stove was to blame.
Williston has not been arrested.
Police said the little boy suffered from possible internal injuries.
The baby was out of the hospital Friday and is expected to make a full recovery.
Williston’s mother said her son got his baby out of the burning home and then ran away.
Williston has also faced domestic violence charges and multiple probation violations.
The Red Cross is assisting two families that were displaced, including four adults and two children.
Fire officials said the fire caused $7,500 in damage.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Myers Park High School 'Dream Team' photo stirs up controversy
- Monroe man arrested for impersonating CMPD officer
- Must-see: Beachgoers form 80-person human chain to save drowning family
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Wednesday forecast outlook
- Ballantyne pastor, wife welcome twins 2 years after tragedy
© 2019 Cox Media Group.