ATLANTA, Georgia — Carolina Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey surprised a Mooresville couple with Super Bowl tickets while at the USAA Salute to Service lounge in Atlanta, site of the big game.
The New England Patriots play the Los Angeles Rams on Sunday evening in the Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
It was the second year in a row McCaffrey has given away Super Bowl tickets in conjunction with the USAA and the Wounded Warrior Project.
This year’s recipients were Alex Somerson and his wife, Shawna. Alex Somerson was a sergeant in the U.S. Army who served two deployments in Iraq and earned the Combat Infantry Badge during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Shawna Somerson is also an Army veteran.
People with military IDs at this week’s NFL Fan Experience had access to the USAA Salute to Service Lounge, which granted them access to special meet and greets with NFL players and coaches.
McCaffrey signed autographs and took pictures with service members in attendance.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man accused of stealing from storage units leads police on chase in U-Haul truck
- Police investigating after man found shot to death inside Kannapolis home
- Authorities: Man operated illegal strip club inside Iredell County home
- FORECAST: Weekend warming trend continues into workweek with slight chance of showers
- Officials: Blaze that caused $300K in damage to south Charlotte home set intentionally
Cox Media Group