• Sunday services cancelled after 6 taken to hospital for CO poisoning at west Charlotte church

    By: Catherine Bilkey

    Updated:

    CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Paramedics had to take six people to area hospitals Saturday afternoon after they showed symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning at a west Charlotte church.

    Officials said five of those who became sick at Shiloh Institutional Baptist church on Greenwood Avenue were taken to Carolinas Medical Center and one other was taken to Novant Presbyterian. All were expected to be OK.

    Firefighters told Channel 9 that there was a small gathering of people at the church Saturday and a few of them started feeling dizzy and nauseous around 2 p.m. When firefighters arrived at the church they noticed an odd smell and tested for carbon monoxide and found abnormally high and potentially deadly levels.

    Firefighters said they thought the CO leak had come from the heating system in the church.

    First responders treated 10 other people at the church but they did not need to be taken to the hospital.

    There was no carbon monoxide detector inside of the building and fire officials said the law does not require them inside of churches.

    Services at the church have been cancelled Sunday.


    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    Sunday services cancelled after 6 taken to hospital for CO poisoning at…

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police identify 75-year-old man found dead inside Salisbury home

  • Headline Goes Here

    Troopers: 1 killed in head-on crash involving 18-wheeler in York County

  • Headline Goes Here

    City councilwoman won't resign after Facebook post questioning 9/11

  • Headline Goes Here

    Billboards seek ‘Losing Streak Lois,' killer grandma wanted in 2 slayings