CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Emergency crews were at the scene of a deadly crash involving a pedestrian early Friday morning in University City.
Police responded to the collision around 6 a.m. on North Tryon Street near Stetson Drive, between the Interstate 85 connector and Rocky River Road West, and pronounced George Wingo dead at the scene.
Channel 9 saw investigators taking photographs of a black Chevy Camaro on the scene and officers confirmed that car was involved in the collision.
Police said Wingo was walking towards the light rail when he was hit but wasn't in a crosswalk.
They said the driver, Martin Broadnax, did not see him because it was still dark out. Speed and alcohol were not factors.
Police have not said if Broadnax would face any charges.
Several other drivers told police that they had to swerve to avoid Wingo.
The outbound lanes of North Tryon were blocked while police investigated but were reopened just before 9 a.m.
- Principal: Ardrey Kell students drunk, abusing peers during game
- Pedestrian killed after being hit by Camaro in University City, police say
- HURRICANE TRACKER: Puerto Rico faces weeks without power after Maria
- WATCH: Vicki Graf's first day of fall forecast
- Ex-Gov. McCrory on the air, isn't closing door to 2020 run
- Ric Flair says alcohol problem led to medically-induced coma
Cox Media Group