CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A motorcyclist was killed Wednesday afternoon when he crashed into a tractor-trailer in southwest Charlotte, police said.
Investigators told Channel 9 that Andre Williams, 40, was driving his motorcycle at a high rate of speed on South Tryon Street when he struck the back of the tractor-trailer as it was making a turn.
Police said Williams was thrown from his motorcycle. The impact was so violent that the motorcycle became stuck under the trailer and was dragged a quarter of a mile until the driver saw it in his rearview mirror and stopped.
Police said after Williams was thrown from his motorcycle, he was then run over by a dump truck.
Police said excessive speed was a factor in the fatal crash, and that the drivers of the tractor-trailer and dump truck were not charged.
A witness told police the motorcycle had been going 70 miles an hour in a 45 mile an hour zone.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Motorcyclist killed after hitting tractor-trailer, run over by dump truck
- Father, 4-month-old daughter killed in violent Burke County crash
- FORECAST: Brief break from severe weather but more storms on the way
- Deputies make arrest days after 9-year-old robbed at lemonade stand
- 'Low-level acid leak' reported at company investigated by Channel 9
Cox Media Group