CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police are investigating after they said a man was struck and killed by an Amtrak train in east Charlotte Wednesday night.
The collision happened around 9:15 p.m. along the track near Eastway Drive and North Tryon Street, investigators said.
Officers pronounced 28-year-old Derrius Leroy Kelly dead at the scene.
Detectives told Channel 9 the man was walking southbound across the railroad tracks when he stepped directly into the path of the eastbound Amtrak train.
Police said the train was moving at 74 mph when it hit the man.
The engineer told police he spotted the man walking toward the tracks. He sounded the train's horn and put it into emergency mode to bring it to a stop.
Police suspect that the man killed may have been impaired, but have not released any other details.
Return to this story for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Investigators in hazmat suits called to Mooresville home where 2 men died
- Armed robbers terrorize store employees at The Arboretum
- ‘Glass exploded in my face': Road rage victim says he has guardian angel
- FORECAST: Humidity arrives Thursday; severe weather on the horizon
- Woman beats underwear-clad man with bat after she finds him breaking into car
© 2019 Cox Media Group.