CHARLOTTE, N.C. - It can be a difficult decision to make, whether to evacuate your home when it’s in the path of a hurricane. It can be even more difficult for pet owners who are worried if they’ll be able to find an emergency shelter that accepts pets.
Watch the video above to learn how many shelters allow pets now and provide accommodations pet owners may not have.
In 2006, an Associated Press poll found that 44 percent of the people who did not evacuate during Hurricane Katrina, didn't do so because of their pets.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- FLORENCE UPDATES: Category 1 hurricane makes landfall near Wrightsville Beach
- 'We are coming to get you': Crews work to rescue residents from rising flood waters
- FLORENCE ARRIVES: Watch these must-see livestreams of the Carolina coast
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Friday forecast outlook
- One killed in crash on I-77, south of Carowinds in York County
© 2019 Cox Media Group.