• Police: 9-month-old was alone when apartment caught fire

    Updated:

    CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police said a baby girl was alone inside an east Charlotte apartment when it caught fire.

    The 9-month-old is now in the hospital, being treated for smoke inhalation.

    Police said the baby’s grandmother left her unattended with a pot cooking on the stove. Authorities said the pot then caught fire and soon, smoke began drifting from the apartment on Barrington Drive.

    A man who lives next door said he saw and smelled smoke coming through the walls and ran next door to help. He said his heart was pounding when he saw the child and realized she was alone.

    He said it took a lot of courage to run into the burning apartment but that he knew he had to do it.

    “I'm glad she's all right,” Davon Morgan said. “I'm glad of that. If I wouldn't have got to her in time, wouldn't have been worth it.”

    The baby's mother was at work when the incident happened, which is why the grandmother was in charge of the baby, officials said.

    Police said she could face child neglect charges.

    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    Police: 9-month-old was alone when apartment caught fire

  • Headline Goes Here

    Prominent Charlotte eye doctor accused of cocaine use

  • Headline Goes Here

    Elon professor suspects illegal voting activity in national college competition

  • Headline Goes Here

    Huntersville police looking for masked man suspected in string of break-ins

  • Headline Goes Here

    North Korea says it will suspend nuclear and missile testing