• 19-year-old charged in prom night afterparty shooting

    By: Greg Suskin

    Updated:

    LANCASTER, S.C. - A prom night turned to panic in Lancaster when a man and a woman were shot at a prom afterparty.

    The shooting happened around 12:45 a.m. Sunday at an event space in the Twin Pines area called In the Kut.

    The owner of In the Kut told Channel 9 he broke up a fight that started inside and made everyone leave. Authorities said that’s when the fight spilled out into the parking lot where people started shooting.

    When deputies got there, they said they found a 19-year-old man who had been shot in the back and rushed him to a hospital. Officials soon learned of another victim after a 22-year-old woman showed up at the hospital with a gunshot wound across her cheek.

    Both victims are expected to be OK.

    ['She didn't bother anybody': Salisbury mother followed, killed by stranger]

    While canvassing the scene, deputies said they found multiple bullets of different calibers, which leads them to believe there were two or more guns fired during the incident. A pistol was also found inside the event space.

    The initial investigation led detectives to the home of 19-year-old Jairus Vinson.

    (Vinson)

    Vinson has been charged with attempted murder for the woman's injuries, discharging a firearm into an occupied dwelling and carrying a pistol.

    During the arrest at his home on Barron Boulevard Wednesday, deputies said they also found evidence of drugs and charged him with several drug offenses.

    Vinson was denied bond and is at the Lancaster County Detention Center.

    [ALSO READ: Gunman wounds 2 outside Wisconsin prom before cops kill him]

    Deputies said the "Slim Fest" prom afterparty had been promoted all over Facebook and about 100 or more people showed up.

    Channel 9 learned that an off-duty probation officer was at that party Saturday night, working security.

    The owner of In the Kut said he and the probation officer ducked behind a car when the shooting began.

    Deputies said two cars and several businesses on Charlotte Highway were hit by gunfire.

    [ALSO READ: 18-year-old girl shot in head at North Carolina barn party dies]

    “A lot of people could have been killed, even people down the highway,” nearby business owner Sundra Hilton said.

    Cameras at a nearby business captured at least part of the fight, but that video has not been released publicly.

    Deputies said it's apparent others were involved in the shooting and they expect to make more arrests.

    Check back with wsoctv.com for updates. 

    Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:

    Next Up: