GASTONIA, N.C. - A man is facing several charges after police said he shot someone during a robbery Thursday morning in Gastonia.
The shooting happened around 1 a.m. near a home on Harris Avenue.
Officials said paramedics took the victim, who was shot in the hand, to the hospital.
Channel 9's Elsa Gillis was on the scene all morning and watched as officers took one person into custody.
Police said Raymond Smith was arrested and charged with armed robbery and attempted murder.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Investigators told Channel 9 the shooting happened over when Smith tried to steal the victim's wallet.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'She didn't bother anybody': Salisbury mother followed, killed by stranger
- Missing Maui hiker's NC family still searching for her; boyfriend passes polygraph
- NC Taco Bell workers appear to smoke inside, as line of cars grows in drive-thru
- FORECAST: Warmer, humid conditions expected for rest of week
- 15-footer among 'cluster' of great white sharks tracked off Carolina coast
© 2019 Cox Media Group.