CHARLOTTE, NC - A man suspected of groping two people last week at Central Piedmont Community College, and who was allegedly involved in several sexual incidents near UNC Charlotte's campus, will be back in court Monday for a bond hearing.
David Kenney, 29, was arrested March 9 on Education Way in the University City area after a person called 911 about a suspicious man in the area.
Police say he is facing several charges, including rape.
University City officers, the Aviation Unit, K-9 Unit had been searching the area after a reported sexual assault and three additional sexual battery calls that had been reported in the area.
Kenney fled on foot from officers, but was taken into custody after a short chase.
The first CPCC incident happened around 2:30 p.m. March 7 in a Student Deck 1 stairwell. Police said Kenney approached a student from behind and touched her inappropriately before running away.
Around 5:30 p.m., on the third floor of the Terrell Building, officials said a CPCC employee was groped from behind. Kenney again ran away quickly, according to authorities.
School officials said he was banned from campus two months ago for comments he made to a female student.
Information gathered on Saturday led police to charge Kenney with three additional counts of sexual battery and one count misdemeanor larceny in connection with incidents near UNCC's campus on March 9.
CMPD listed the incidents below:
- At approximately 7:18 p.m., University City Division Officers responded to the Rite Aid, located at 8532 University City Boulevard in reference to a sexual battery. Upon arrival the caller stated that a male suspect had groped a female victim before fleeing the scene.
- At approximately 8:34 p.m., officers with the University City Division responded to 8650 University City Boulevard in reference to a sexual battery call for service. The victim advised that she was outside of the business when an unknown male approached her and groped her. The male left the scene on foot prior to officers arrival.
- A short time later, at 9:05 p.m., officers responded to 9010 University City Boulevard in reference to another sexual battery call for service, where the suspect matched the description of the previous call. The victim stated that a male suspect groped her and then fled the scene.
- Almost two hours later, at approximately 10:59 p.m., University City Division Officers responded to the 9800 block of Campus Walk Lane in reference to a check the welfare call for service. Upon arrival, officers located a female who stated that she was sexually assaulted by a male suspect near the 9700 block of Mary Alexander Road. The suspect fled the scene on foot.
CMPD said the last incident was a rape and DNA evidence in the case is a match for Kenney.
A CPCC student who said she was assaulted by Kenney said she was walking to her car in a parking garage when Kenney approached her from behind and grabbed her.
“That's nasty,” said the student. “So, I came inside the car and locked the door I called my mom.”
He's now charged with rape, attempted rape, kidnapping, and four sex offenses.
Detectives are asking anyone who may have information concerning this case to immediately contact 911 or Crime Stoppers at (704) 334-1600.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Sale of Charlotte-based Snyder's-Lance snack company to close Monday
- CMPD: Woman punched, pulled from SUV at south Charlotte McDonald's
- Boy, 4, killed after being mauled by family dog
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Monday forecast outlook
- 4 developers will present ideas to revitalize old Eastland Mall site
- Fort Mill dad withheld hearing aid from 8-year-old daughter, police say
© 2019 Cox Media Group.