KANNAPOLIS, N.C. - Police said one person was airlifted to the hospital after a multi-vehicle crash on Interstate 85 northbound in Kannapolis Thursday afternoon.
>> We first updated WSOCTV news app users with a notification just after 1 p.m. Thursday that a multi-vehicle crash shut down I-85 northbound. Download the WSOCTV news app for your smartphone and get updates on this developing story as they come in.
NCDOT officials said northbound I-85 had to be closed just south of Exit 63 at Lane Street as crews investigated the crash, but reopened around 2:30 p.m. after crews were able to clear the scene.
From Chopper 9 SkyZoom, a passenger car was seen crushed between a box truck and a dump truck.
Cabarrus County Communications said a medical helicopter was called to the scene to fly a victim to the hospital. The victim's condition is unknown at this time.
A spokesperson from NCDOT said the yellow dump truck is theirs. They said one of their employees was involved in the 3-vehicle crash, but was commuting and not involved in any of the construction work nearby.
The spokeperson said the NCDOT driver was not seriously hurt and is expected to be OK.
It is unknown what may have led to the crash.
Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Woman, 71, killed, husband critically hurt in north Charlotte shooting
- Fire in the sky: Meteor spotted by hundreds across the Southeast
- CMPD says body recovered from Lake Wylie is missing Charlotte mother
- FORECAST: Warm and sunny afternoon ahead of Friday morning rain
- CMPD: Woman seriously injured after hit-and-run collision in uptown
© 2019 Cox Media Group.