CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Police said they seized 57 pounds of marijuana at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport.
Officials told Channel 9 they found 26 vacuum-sealed bags of marijuana worth more than $114,000.
"I would say it's either a bit of stupidity on their part, or maybe it's a lack of knowledge about what really goes on behind the scene here," passenger J.T. Witt said.
What goes on behind the scene is an ongoing interdiction effort that has produced several major drug seizures recently.
This is at least the third time officials have found drugs at Charlotte-Douglas Airport this year.
Last month, U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents found cocaine in a Jamaican citizen's luggage.
In February, police found 13 pounds of marijuana that came from California.
Because this is an ongoing investigation, police are being tight-lipped about this most recent case. They haven’t said where the marijuana came from or where it was going.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Early morning earthquakes rattle Tennessee; felt as far away as Charlotte
- Busy east Charlotte road shut down as police investigate deadly crash
- Photo shows Mark Harris and man at center of election fraud investigation together
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Wednesday forecast outlook
- NC deputy on leave after video posted of him slamming teen sisters to ground
Cox Media Group