YORK, S.C. - Officials said a woman who they said shot a teenager in the back during a drive-by shooting in York County is in custody.
The shooting happened around noon Sunday along Galilean Road in York, South Carolina.
York police said 24-year-old Brittany Sade McKnight, fired seven or eight shots from a handgun out the window of an SUV while driving down Galilean Road, hitting an 18-year-old in the back as he ran away.
(Brittany Sade McKnight)
After days of searching, McKnight was taken into custody Thursday and charged with attempted murder.
The victim was airlifted to a Charlotte hospital in critical condition but is expected to be OK.
Channel 9's South Carolina bureau reporter Greg Suskin spoke to the victim's mother, Latoya Wilson, who said she was the intended target because of an ongoing issue between the two women.
"She was aiming for my head and I would've been dead if she had of caught me," Wilson said. "I don't know what it was that told me to duck in front of that car."
Police said minutes before the shooting, McKnight also drove into another car driven by Wilson's daughter in a road rage incident. She was not injured.
This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Deputies: 2 dead, including 11-year-old boy, after mobile home set on fire
- 8-year-old boy bitten by shark at Bald Head Island
- Lucky break helps teen survive surprise ray strike off Hilton Head
- FORECAST: Monday kicks off week of rainy, muggy weather across region
- Retired UNC professor dead after disappearing during NY swim race
© 2019 Cox Media Group.