CHARLOTTE, N.C. - On Saturday, public safety personnel and members of the public climbed 110 floors of the Duke Energy skyscraper in uptown Charlotte in honor of 9/11, when 343 firefighters, 60 law enforcement personnel and 10 EMS personnel died during the terrorist attacks.
“Those guys who went to work made that climb,” said Lt. Benjamin Crawford, a Matthews firefighter.
On Saturday, many first responders donned full turn-out gear for the event.
All proceeds from the ninth annual Charlotte 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb benefited the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: Woman escapes human trafficker in Pineville; 2 people charged
- Bear spotted roaming around local neighborhood
- I-77 northbound in Charlotte has reopened after shooting, four car crash, police say
- Video shows Carolina Panthers fans brawling during weather delay
- Appalachian State fraternity loses university recognition until 2023
© 2019 Cox Media Group.