MOREHEAD CITY, NORTH CAROLINA - A record breaking 914-pound blue marlin was caught off the coast of Morehead City, North Carolina Saturday during a weekend fishing tournament.
The blue marlin was the biggest fish ever in the Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament's 61-year history.
It took two fishermen six hours to get the massive blue marlin into their boat.
The closest competitor reeled in a 588-pound fish.
The winner, known as Top Dog, took home $793,000.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Deputies: 2 dead, including 11-year-old boy, after mobile home set on fire
- 8-year-old boy bitten by shark at Bald Head Island
- Lucky break helps teen survive surprise ray strike off Hilton Head
- FORECAST: Monday kicks off week of rainy, muggy weather across region
- Retired UNC professor dead after disappearing during NY swim race
© 2019 Cox Media Group.