SHELBY, N.C. - The retired K-9 partner of a Shelby Police Department officer killed in the line of duty nearly three years ago died this week, his owners announced on Facebook.
Ciko was retired following Ofc. Tim Brackeen’s death Sept. 12, 2016. He was shot two days earlier, authorities said, by Irving Fenner Jr. during a traffic stop.
Fenner is now in custody locally awaiting trial after authorities said he fled to Rhode Island following the shooting. The district attorney is seeking the death penalty in the case.
Ciko went to a family for the last nearly three years of his life before dying Wednesday at the age of 11.
“In Ciko, we could see the indelible mark Tim left on him through his personality and his mannerisms,” Ciko’s owners wrote. “Their exploits were legendary. We will miss not only Ciko in our lives, but the tie to Tim that we were able to enjoy.”
Brackeen was the Shelby Police Department Officer of the Year in 2012. He left behind a wife and daughter.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- CMPD looking for woman who told Wendy's workers she was kidnapped
- Officials investigating fire at Fort Mill fireworks store as possible arson
- Man arrested days after girlfriend found stabbed to death inside home
- CMPD officer hit by car while working Lake Wylie fireworks event
- Fire Marshal: 'Interior gas leak' most likely caused Ballantyne house explosion
© 2019 Cox Media Group.