CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Rev. Billy Graham's son, Rev. Franklin Graham, shared a touching picture of his father's casket after it arrived at the Billy Graham Training Center at The Cove from the funeral home on Thursday.
The simple plywood casket was placed behind a pulpit.
"We felt this was symbolic since he stood behind a pulpit most of his life preaching the Gospel," Franklin Graham tweeted out.
Franklin Graham said the family put a Bible in the casket with their father.
Graham will be buried next to his late wife, Ruth Bell Graham, who died June 14, 2007.
The couple’s caskets were designed and built by inmates at the nation’s largest maximum security prison, Louisiana State Penitentiary in Angola, Louisiana.
While touring the correctional facility after preaching there in 2005, Graham’s son Franklin saw caskets being built. Inmates at Angola make caskets for other inmates who cannot afford to purchase one. Franklin was moved by this and requested that inmates make caskets for his mother and father.
The caskets are made of plywood and lined with a mattress pad. A wooden cross is nailed to the top of the casket. The Graham family requested no upgrades to the plywood casket, only a few modifications to allow the casket to be transported easily.
Before his death, Rev. Billy Graham chose a significant Scripture from the Bible to be placed on his grave marker.
Graham selected the Scripture reference John 14:6 and the following inscription to be on his grave marker:
NOVEMBER 7, 1918 – FEBRUARY 21, 2018
PREACHER OF THE GOSPEL OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
John 14:6 reads, “Jesus answered, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.'”
The verse was central in Graham’s preaching ministry, and he often referred to it throughout his life.
- SPECIAL SECTION: The life and death of Rev. Billy Graham
- LINK: OBITUARY FOR REV. BILLY GRAHAM
- Family spokesman details funeral arrangements for Rev. Billy Graham
- Reaction to Rev. Billy Graham's passing pours in from around the world
- Rev. Billy Graham, known as 'America's Pastor,' dies at 99
- Local leaders recall fond memories of the Rev. Billy Graham
- PHOTOS: Billy Graham through the years
- PHOTOS: Billy Graham was counselor to presidents
- Rev. Graham helped make religion popular, says Davidson professor
- 4 things to know about Billy Graham
- IMAGES: Church where Billy Graham held first sermons
- Celebrities, politicians react to Billy Graham’s death
- Followers from Montreat to Charlotte remember the Rev. Graham
- Rev. Billy Graham's family members reflect on their time spent with him
- Where was the Rev. Billy Graham's first sermon?
- Duke professor calls meetings with Rev. Billy Graham a 'mountaintop experience'
- Jean Graham Ford on Billy Graham: ‘He's always been a big brother hero'
- Rev. Graham leaves lasting impression with Samaritan's Purse
- Leaders express admiration, sadness for Billy Graham
- IMAGES: Scenes from Billy Graham 95th birthday celebration in Asheville
- PHOTO TIMELINE: Billy Graham life, important dates
- PHOTOS: The influence of Rev. Billy Graham
- PHOTOS: Rev. Billy Graham at presidential inaugurations over the years
- Billy Graham quotes: He made Christian principles accessible to millions
© 2019 Cox Media Group.