HAMLET, N.C. - Hurricane Florence is pounding the Carolinas with heavy rain and strong wind gusts.
In Richmond County, residents are clocking some wind gusts up to 48 mph.
Duke Energy officials say that a third of their customers in Richmond County are without power as the howling winds have tossed trees and flags.
Watch the video above as reporter Joe Bruno assesses the flooding in Richmond County.
One of the major concerns in Richmond County is along City Lake where the water has already nearly overtaken a pier.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- FLORENCE UPDATES: Category 1 hurricane makes landfall near Wrightsville Beach
- 'We are coming to get you': Crews work to rescue residents from rising flood waters
- FLORENCE ARRIVES: Watch these must-see livestreams of the Carolina coast
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Friday forecast outlook
- One killed in crash on I-77, south of Carowinds in York County
© 2018 Cox Media Group.