MOUNT HOLLY, N.C. — Local, state and federal officials were investigating a break-in at a pawn shop in Mount Holly early Monday morning that led to a 5-hour standoff and the arrest of two people.
Officers responded to Mount Holly Gun and Pawn on Henry Street just before 4:30 a.m. after an alarm notified officers to a break-in at the business.
When officers arrived, Jaah'kii Harris was the first to surrender, police said.
"The first officers that arrived made contact with one suspect and took him into custody," Commander Ed Tarus said.
The second suspect, 23-year-old Trey Davis, hid inside the pawn shop for hours, forcing authorities to swarm the area, crouching behind vehicles with their guns drawn.
Police said they were able to make contact with Davis and spent hours negotiating with him before he finally surrendered around 10 a.m. with his hands in the air.
"I didn't know what to expect, what might come out the door," said witness Cheryl Youngblood. "Somebody come out shooting or somebody would just come out with their hands up."
Earlier during the standoff, officers had their guns drawn and crouched behind cars for cover, and the bomb squad, as well as SWAT, was called to the scene.
Channel 9 saw officers focusing their attention on a truck that they had roped off with crime tape. Investigators said the truck was stolen in Charlotte, and are trying to figure out if there was a getaway driver.
They found three guns near the back door, two of which still had price tags on them and another that was loaded. Police believe the men planned to take the guns and two trays full of rings.
During the tense standoff, with armored vehicles and SWAT teams blocking the street, neighbors and nearby business owners were pushed back for their safety.
"He was putting other people's lives in jeopardy,” said Gary Walker, the owner of a neighboring business. “If there was a shootout, how many cops were out here? Thirty? Forty? That's scary in and of itself."
Walker owns the store next to the gun shop and said the long standoff disrupted his business because they weren't able to get their shipments out on time.
Henry Street was closed in front of the business, as well as Beatty Road, while police investigated, causing traffic delays in the area.
This isn't the first time thieves have targeted the business.
In July 2015, police said three men broke in looking for weapons, and were in and out in just 60 seconds.
The owner said the thieves weren’t able to make off with any guns because he keeps them locked up.
Monday’s break-in is the latest in a series of gun shop break-ins across the Charlotte area over the last few months, including three in Concord.
Last week, suspects rammed a stolen SUV into Eagle Guns and Range, then stole 10 guns. Concord police are also investigating break-ins at Repent Arms and Ideal Sportsman.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: Man barricaded inside pawn shop; SWAT, bomb squad on scene
- Young married couple mysteriously drops dead before eating dinner, police say
- Woman shot, killed while in town for sister-in-law's funeral, police say
- 2 injured, hundreds of inmates moved after riot at NC prison
- Mother, 2 toddlers among 5 hospitalized in hit-and-run collision
Cox Media Group