CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Scammers are finding new ways to target victims across the Carolinas, including the use of robocalls.
There are several apps people can use to protect themselves.
Americans spend more than 2.5 hours on their cellphones every day, Business Insider reports.
Scammers use names of actual officials in the area and scare tactics to get money.
The apps that can be downloaded on phones work by detecting those robocalls and alert the person so they don’t answer.
These are several apps you can download to your phone:
- Call Protect (ATT)
- Caller Name ID (Verizon)
- Scam Block (T-Mobile)
- Premium Caller ID (Sprint)
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Firefighters working to rescue puppy stuck in sewer pipe in Ballantyne
- Man seriously injured in northeast Charlotte drive-by shooting
- Porn star Stormy Daniels arrested at Ohio strip club: Live updates
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Teen on vacation survives nearly 10 hours in waters off Georgia coast
© 2018 Cox Media Group.