ROCK HILL, S.C. — A Rock Hill man spent Christmas preparing meals for those in need and used his own food stamps to do it.
Merrit Eggleston set up a tent outside his home and offered hot free meals to the community Tuesday evening.
"I do everything I can to help anybody I see who needs help," said Eggleston.
He cooked the meals himself using the $70 in food stamps he receives each month, and his actions are catching the attention of many.
"I had two ministers stop by and a woman and they all just handed $20 to me and said we've never seen anything like this in this town," he said.
When Channel 9's Stephanie Tinoco asked why he does it, Eggleston said it makes him feel good.
"They say no one else out there is doing this, why do you do it. I say because I want to," he said.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Gastonia Police: Two arrested after child found in car with adults doing heroin
- Government shutdown: Trump says it will last 'until we have a wall'
- HOLIDAY TRAVEL: Winter storm moving across country to potentially delay post-holiday travel
- FORECAST: Last day of sunny skies, mild temps pave way for end-of-week showers
- Rock Hill man who receives food stamps prepares meals for those in need
Cox Media Group