ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. — Part of a busy highway in Rowan County was closed early Monday morning after troopers said a driver hit a gas line and utility pole overnight.
The road reopened at the intersection of Sherrills Ford Road around 2 p.m. Monday.
Troopers told Channel 9 that Melvin Jackson was speeding when the crash happened just before 2 a.m. on Highway 150 at Sherrills Ford Road, just west of Salisbury.
Authorities said Jackson suffered minor injuries and that three other people, including two children, were in the car at the time.
Crews had to shut off all water and power service in the area as they worked to repair the line.
The highway is not expected to reopen until at least noon.
Jackson was charged with reckless driving.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- MEDIC: 1 hospitalized after van, school bus collide in west Charlotte
- Divers search for man who jumped from boat on Lake Norman
- Florida man killed in skydiving accident in Chester County
- Student accused of assaulting Harding faculty member to face judge
- Rowan Co. highway closed after car takes out gas line, utility pole
Cox Media Group