SALISBURY, N.C. — Fire officials found a body Sunday morning when they responded to a fire call at an apartment in Salisbury.
Crews found Joseph David Walker, 37, just before 7 a.m. inside an apartment at Alexander Place Apartments on Hamilton Drive.
Later in the afternoon, officials ruled his death a homicide.
Salisbury police and the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigations are investigating the incident as a suspicious death.
Neighbors told Channel 9 they were shocked and scared to learn what happened and said it’s a quiet complex and neighborhood.
“It’s a great community. We’ve never had any problems,” said Dominque Luster. “Usually everybody tends to themselves, you know, nobody really bothers anybody.”
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the Salisbury Police Department at 704-638-5333 or Crime Stoppers at 1-866-639-5245.
Be sure to download the WSOC-TV Wake Up app to get the latest breaking news, weather and traffic on your phone first thing in the mornings.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- CMPD: Speed a factor in wreck that killed teen, injured 4 others
- Officials investigating deadly fire near Clover, SC
- Man killed after shot in the head during fight at Statesville party
- CMPD investigating shooting at northeast Charlotte motel
- 17-year-old accidentally killed by friend handling gun, police say
- Police: Body in burning Salisbury apartment was homicide victim
Cox Media Group