The Salvation Army in north Charlotte was at capacity with 400 people but with Hurricane Florence looming near the Carolinas, staff are making room for an additional 50 people.
The organization is partnering with the American Red Cross to make sure people have the supplies they need and to make sure the homeless have a place to go to ride out the storm.
Watch the video above to learn more about what these organizations are doing to help the homeless during Hurricane Florence.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- FLORENCE UPDATES: Gov. Cooper warns 'disaster is at the doorstep'
- RUNNING LIST: Evacuations issued as Hurricane Florence approaches
- CHARLOTTE FORECAST: Flash Flood Warnings for the mountains ahead of Florence
- Charlotte school and business closings
- North Carolina's wild horses know how to survive hurricane
© 2018 Cox Media Group.