CHARLESTON, S.C. - A man with local ties, accused of sexually abusing children in Sunday school, has rejected a plea deal.
Jacop Hazlett is accused of molesting children he chaperoned at New Spring Church in North Charleston last year.
He faces 23 charges, and he rejected a plea deal that would have sentenced him to 50 years in prison.
His case now heads to trial.
After Hazlett's arrest last year, Channel 9 investigated and found he also volunteered at churches in Cornelius, Davidson and Mooresville.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: 2 dead, 3 others injured after shooting at south Charlotte home
- Man found shot to death inside uptown high-rise apartment complex
- Woman carjacked outside Harris Teeter in Matthews; suspect arrested in Charlotte
- FORECAST: Chilly temps to continue throughout weekend despite sunshine
- Film crews roll into Concord to shoot Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker story
© 2019 Cox Media Group.