SOUTH CAROLINA - A South Carolina couple now faces federal charges after prosecutors say they brought a young girl from Nicaragua to the United States in 2005, but never took her back.
A federal indictment shows Michael and Charlotte Taylor of Greenville, South Carolina took the girl from her parents to the U.S. for medical treatment.
Once she was here, they signed her up for school under a fake name and ignored letters from the U.S. and Nicaragua demanding the child be returned.
They even submitted a forged letter from a psychologist to immigration officials.
The girl's temporary visa expired. She is now an adult living in the U.S. without documentation and has not seen her family in 10 years.
The couple faces charges that include harboring an illegal alien.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Parent company of Carowinds fined $42K after worker's hand severed
- Man wanted in girlfriend's murder accused of killing friend in Ballantyne
- Fight caught on camera at Stuart Cramer HS leads to lawsuit one year later
- TRACKING: Several school districts closed as temps crash, snow falls
- Boys who escaped Concord development center could be in Hickory
© 2019 Cox Media Group.