LAKE NORMAN, N.C. — A man drowned on Lake Norman Saturday afternoon after jumping off a pontoon boat and swimming with friends, according to Iredell County Sheriff's deputies.
[ALSO READ: Daughter remembers father who died while fishing on Catawba River]
Iredell County officials responded to an area near the Lake Norman picnic grounds after someone called around 2:30 p.m. to report a drowning.
Deputies said the man was with a group of about 12 boaters when he jumped off the boat to go swimming but never resurfaced.
According to officials, the man's body was recovered just before 6 p.m.
The victim has not yet been identified.
Authorities added the water was almost 60-feet deep where they found the man's body hours later.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Charlotte woman, boyfriend murdered while traveling in Canada
- Former employee charged with embezzling $200K+ from Charlotte nonprofit
- CMS superintendent out: Clayton Wilcox will resign after two years on job
- FORECAST: Heat advisory in effect for Charlotte region
- Why this brewery put its South End building on the market
Cox Media Group