IREDELL COUNTY, N.C. - Roughly 70 people were targeted in a sweeping drug roundup across Iredell County early Monday, the sheriff announced.
Channel 9 was there as groups of those already arrested were being led in handcuffs from the Sheriff’s Office to the Iredell County Detention Center just after dawn.
Sheriff Darren Campbell said that deputies began making arrests on more than 200 drug charges before the sun rose. He said arrests would likely continue throughout the day and into the night.
Several of the arrests are the result of undercover investigations lasting several months, Campbell said, explaining that undercover officers either purchased drugs or facilitated the buying of drugs from the suspects.
Those narcotics include cocaine, methamphetamine and heroin.
The Sheriff’s Office conducted a similar raid in early April entitled “Operation Spring Sweep.” Nearly 40 people were targeted on a variety of drug offenses in that roundup.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Missing 17-year-old didn't return home from work at pizza place; car left at restaurant
- Police identify man found shot to death in driveway in north Charlotte
- Sheriff: 70 targeted in early morning Iredell County drug roundup
- FORECAST: Heat continues to grip region, but fall relief in sight
- Police identify man killed in fall from Myrtle Beach hotel balcony
© 2019 Cox Media Group.