ALEXANDER COUNTY, N.C. - A 30-year-old man charged in the slayings of a woman and her two children at their mobile home earlier this month is living in the country illegally, according to the Alexander County sheriff.
Sheriff Chris Bowman told Channel 9's Dave Faherty Areli Aguirre-Avilez is in the country illegally and an ICE detainer has been placed on him.
Investigators said on Tuesday Aguirre-Aveliz was indicted by a grand jury on three counts of first-degree murder, one count of statutory rape of a child 15 years of age or younger, violation of domestic violence order with a deadly weapon and first-degree arson.
They said Heidi Wolfe, Aguirre-Aveliz's 16-year-old girlfriend, was indicted on three counts of first-degree murder and one count of first-degree arson.
Authorities said on June 15, two children, 11-year-old Angel E. Pacheco and his 12-year-old sister America D. Pacheco, were found dead inside a home that had been set on fire on Pine Meadows Lane off Black Oak Ridge Road.
The sheriff said their mother, 38-year-old Maria Calderon, was also killed at the home and detectives believe her body was dumped in the Catawba River.
Investigators said they believe all three were killed inside the home before it was set on fire.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Huntersville police investigating fatal crash involving motorcycle, SUV
- Body of teen recovered day after she fell into Gaston County river
- Grieving NC mom denied Build-A-Bear Pay Your Age promotion; CEO apologizes
- FORECAST: Warm, but comfortable weather expected before humidity returns
- No criminal charges against wife in shooting death of Meck County deputy
© 2019 Cox Media Group.