CATAWBA COUNTY, N.C. - The U.S. Geological Survey recorded a small earthquake overnight in Catawba County, about 66 miles northwest of Charlotte.
The 1.7 magnitude quake was centered near the intersection of US 321 and Sandy Ford Road, near the Catawba Country Club, and happened around 1:12 a.m.
There were no reports of any damage.
Small quakes are relatively common in the Carolinas. There was a report earlier this week of a quake recorded in Wilkes County, and another reported on the North Carolina/South Carolina border in April.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man accused of recording girls on his yacht in Myrtle Beach back in jail
- Test of Trump loyalty topples South Carolina's Mark Sanford
- U.S. Rep. Robert Pittenger sues neighbors claiming their new house will be too big
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Wednesday forecast outlook
- Wife of man hospitalized after possible road rage shooting: 'We are lucky'
© 2018 Cox Media Group.