• Soldier from Albemarle airlifted to hospital after Friday wreck

    By: Tina Terry


    CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Five of the 10 Fort Bragg soldiers injured in an accident Friday are still in the hospital.

    The soldiers were on their way to Charlotte for a funeral to honor a World War II veteran when their van crashed into a logging truck.

    One of them, Spc. Joshua Furr, is from Albemarle.

    Furr's father-in-law tried to hold his emotions together when he spoke to Channel 9 on Saturday. He is hoping his son-in-law recovers quickly.

    "It's bad," he said. "I just pray for the family."

    Many in Albermarle are praying for Furr. He lives in the town with his wife and small children. They just purchased a home there.

    Furr is in Chapel Hill recovering from the crash.

    Furr was with nine other members of the 82nd Airborne Division when the accident happened. He and another soldier were airlifted to a medical center in Chapel Hill. The others were rushed to area hospitals.

    Bert Tarlton, who lives close to Furr's family, is hoping that Furr will get well soon and come home.

    "That he'd get better and be himself again," he said.

    A spokesman for the 82nd Airborne Division said Saturday they are investigating what led up to the crash. He said they're focusing on making sure all of the soldiers' families have everything that they need.

    The other service member airlifted to Chapel Hill is listed in good condition. Three taken to Scotland Memorial are listed in critical condition.

    Read our past coverage:

    Jan. 3:  Honor Guard members recovering after wreck

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Soldier from Albemarle airlifted to hospital after Friday wreck

  • Headline Goes Here

    2-year-old pelted 9 times by paintballs in her west Charlotte yard, mother says

  • Headline Goes Here

    Residents pushing Mecklenburg County leaders for more greenways

  • Headline Goes Here

    Man killed, three others injured in shootout at Union County hotel

  • Headline Goes Here

    Man fought gunman: He 'was going to have to work to kill me'