CLEVELAND COUNTY, N.C. - Thirty-eight senators sent a letter to Capitol Hill asking them not to allow plans for a massive casino in Cleveland County.
The Catawba Indian Nation of York County wants to build the casino off of Interstate 85 near Kings Mountain.
The chief went to legislators in Washington to try to get support for approval earlier this month.
The state senators who wrote the letter said it should be up to the state and towns, not the federal government.
Both U.S. senators from North Carolina support the idea.
Supporters said it will bring thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars into the economy.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Officials: 3 rescued, 1 drowned after boat sinks on Catawba River
- Troopers: Driver who hit bus carrying preschoolers in Stanley Co. dies
- Police: South Carolina man hid $200K of stolen goods in network of tunnels
- FORECAST: Showers and mild temps before big heat wave rolls in
- South Carolina father shoots daughter he mistook as intruder
© 2019 Cox Media Group.