2 injured in shooting at South Carolina State University, officials say

At least two injured after shooting erupts at South Carolina State University, police say

ORANGEBURG, S.C. — Authorities are investigating after two people were injured early Friday in a shooting at South Carolina State University, officials said.

Update 11:10 a.m. EDT Sept. 20: South Carolina State University President James E. Clark told reporters two women were injured in Friday's early morning shooting.

Content Continues Below

Authorities first got a call about the gunshots around midnight, Clark said. He identified one of the injured women as a student who was injured in the leg. The injuries appeared to be minor, WLTX reported.

Clark said he spoke with the injured student after she was released from the hospital.

"She is emotionally shaken but is recovering," he said, according to WLTX.

Clark said the shooting stemmed from an incident that began off campus. Authorities continued to search Friday for suspects in the case.

Update 8:44 a.m. EDT Sept. 20:  A lockdown was lifted at South Carolina State University, several hours after a shooting was reported on campus, WLTX reported.

Campus police lifted the lockdown at 7:49 a.m., the television station reported.

According to a university news release, one student sustained non-life-threatening injuries and is expected to make a full recovery.

University officials have scheduled a 9:30 am news conference on campus to discuss the shooting, WLTX reported.

Original report; The university remained on lockdown several hours after a campus-wide text alert was sent by school officials at 2:30 a.m., WLTX reported. According to the alert, the shooting occurred at Hugine Suites near Building K, the television station reported.

University officials said Hugine Suites is a coed upperclassman housing complex that contains about 755 students, WLTX reported.

A second email sent by the school 12 minutes after the first one advised students to avoid the area, WCSC reported.

Authorities have not released any information about whether anyone was hurt, the television station reported. Police also did not release a description of the gunman.