HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. — Major changes are in the works for thousands of motorists who drive through a busy Huntersville intersection every morning.
The state wants to create a new traffic pattern called a "Split Diamond" along Sam Furr Road at Interstate 77.
The Department of Transportation wants to give drivers more access points to I-77, and widen Sam Furr Road.
Just north of Sam Furr Road, a bridge would be built over I-77 with roundabouts at each end that would flow into the on- and off-ramps, and connect to Caldwell Creek Drive.
Lanes would be added to widen Sam Furr Road.
Another bridge would be built south of Sam Furr Road to connect to the I-77 off-ramp and would include a roundabout.
Those ramps would be linked to Statesville Road and Northcross Drive.
NCDOT officials said the project is meant to improve access and help reduce congestion in an area with a growing population.
There is a public meeting on the project Monday from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Meadow Lake Church.
Construction is expected to start in 2020.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Man attacks comedian on stage at SC club after being picked on
- 'Split Diamond' would create major changes for drivers in Huntersville
- North Carolina woman accused in son's Christmas Day shooting death
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Heartbroken friends, coworkers to hold vigil for slain Peach Stand clerk
- Two men shot sitting in car during attempted robbery, police say
Cox Media Group